Family services

You can get help with family issues and problems, such as conflict, housing or safety concerns. There are services nationwide, and in ACT, NSW, WA, NT, SA, QLD, VIC and TAS that can put you in contact with someone near you. 

This could be for you if:

  • You're having a family crisis 
  • You want to get help with family stuff 
  • You're looking for someone to talk to about family matters

Brother and sister on mountain top

Family Services Australia-wide

Family Relationships Online is a government initiative that has info about family issues like dealing with arguments and making better relationships. They can also put you on to other services.
Phone: 1800 050 321. 

Family and Relationship Services Australia is an organisation that works to improve the wellbeing and safety of children, families and communities. They can also put you on to people who can make relationships stronger and help families out.  
Phone: 02 6162 1811

Find your state or territory below for the name, phone and web address of services which help with family issues and welfare.

Australian Capital Territory

The Australian Capital Territory Office for Children, Youth and Family Support works together with communities to care for, and provide protection services to, young people, families and communities. 

ACT Community Services website
Phone: 1300 556 729.

New South Wales

NSW Government Department of Family and Community Services provides services to disadvantaged individuals, families and communities around NSW.

NSW Department of Community services website
Phone: 02 9716 2222.

Northern Territory

The NT Government Department for Children and Families works to ensure the safety and wellbeing of children and families in the Northern Territory by providing them with support and services.

NT Community and Families website 


Queensland Government Community support provides information and support for children, families and communities in Queensland.

QLD Community Support website
Phone: 13 74 68 for general enquiries

South Australia

South Australian Government Department of Communities and Social Inclusion works with disadvantaged people to provide them with choices, opportunities and the services that they need. 

SA Department of Communities and Social Inclusion website
Phone: 8226 8800


The Tasmanian Government Department of Premier and Cabinet has a community development division that provides information and resources to children, young people, families and communities in Tasmania.

TAS Community Development Divsion website
Phone: 1300 135 513


Victorian Government Department of human services provides information and support to young people and families to help them access the services they need.

VIC Department of Human Services website

Victoria’s Family Institute is located within La Trobe University’s Faculty of Health Sciences recognises the important role of the family and works to protect the wellbeing of individuals, their families and the wider community.

Victoria's Family Institute website
Phone: 9385 5100

Western Australia

The Australian Government Department for Child Protection provides information and support services to ensure the safety of children and families in Western Australia.

WA Department for Child Protection website
Phone: 08 9222 2555 or country free call on 1800 622 258

What can I do now?

Last reviewed: 07 July, 2015
Did you find this article helpful?

You have already rated this article

Add a comment

Read the commenting guidelines: keep safe and respectful