I need legal advice about my relationship

Every relationship will face difficulties from time to time. When things get tough, it can be hard figuring out whether to seek legal advice. You might feel like sorting things out on your own is the right thing to do. But there are many different reasons and situations where getting legal advice can be really helpful.

This can help if:

  • You’re unsure about your legal rights within a relationship
  • You feel unsafe in your relationship 
  • You’ve separated from your partner and want advice on what happens next
teen girl with long dark hair looking into distance while leaning against a pole

Reasons you might need legal advice

Feeling nervous or unsure about seeking legal advice is normal. Relationships are personal and private, so it can be a difficult topic to open up about. While it can be tricky, it’s often really important to seek help- especially  if you are worried about your safety or the safety of your children. 

You might be asking questions like:
  • “My partner and I have separated. We lived together. How do we decide who owns what?” 
  • “My partner is violent towards me. I feel like I need to leave but I have nowhere to go.”
  • “My partner has control over my money and won’t let me access it.”
  • “I am moving in with my partner. How does this impact me financially? What about my Centrelink payments?”
  • “My partner and I recently separated and we have agreed on how to divide things. How can I put this in writing?”
All these questions can be answered by seeking free legal support online, over the phone or face to face.

Where to get help

If you are worried about your immediate safety, call 000. 

Often, speaking to someone else outside of a situation can help you gain valuable perspective. Once you have made the decision to seek legal advice, it can be really hard deciding where you should go. But the good news is that there are free services available for support.

If you are experiencing domestic violence and need information, advice or support, 1800 RESPECT is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. You can also chat to a counsellor online.

LawAccess NSW is a free telephone service that can provide legal information and referral to local services.

The Family Relationship Advice Line provides information about relationship issues and separation and can also assist you in finding services in your area. 

You can arrange an appointment at Relationships Australia to get advice and counselling at all stages of your relationship including starting a new relationship or separation.

What can I do now?