This might be you if you:
- Often get angry or irritated with people over small things
- Often feel moody, frustrated or irritable
- Feel dissatisfied with the people around you
- Can’t pin down what’s bugging you
- Are often hard on people
Getting pissed off or frustrated with people
Sometimes when you’re not dealing with stress, you get pissed off that things aren’t as easy as they should be. A lot of people feel frustrated with others, even though that person isn’t doing anything different or annoying. But at the time, it seems like the most annoying thing in the world.
Recognising when you’re being unfair is a good skill to have, and worth building on. Once you can do that, it’s easier to notice when something’s bothering and to figure it out.
Why people get shitty with others
We don’t always notice when there’s something on our minds. When you’re stressed out or not satisfied with life but not sure why, your mind focuses on all the little things that annoy you– that you usually don’t notice. When there’s a lot on your mind you have less room for other people’s problems or the way they act, and you can be a lot less forgiving. This is normal, but it can cause a lot of grief when you’re being hard on friends, workmates or family for something small. Letting things go and not sweating the small staff keeps us sane, and stops us losing otherwise valuable relationships.
Keeping yourself in check
There are a few things you can work on to build up your self-awareness and catch yourself early.
- When you catch yourself being grumpy or pissed off, stop and think about why. How much does it really matter?
- When you feel like being critical or harsh on someone, challenge yourself to stop and think about why you’re pissed off. Is it to do with them?
- If you’re feeling overwhelmed and like everything’s piling up on you; instead of letting yourself get angry, try focusing on the way you’re feeling. Try some stress relief strategies and see if they make a difference– like going for a run or to the gym, or taking time out.
Get good at dealing with stress
Remember, you can’t change everything about the world– but you can change how you react to it. The better you get at dealing with stress; the less it will be an issue. Check out some of the info on stress
and anger management
to get more info on how to deal with the stuff that gets to you.