Managing work and study
Keeping up with the expectations of education, while also balancing the need to make money, can be seriously stressful. But there are things you can do which can help you to manage things better. Time management isn’t the only cure though. If you find that it all becomes too much, you might need to seek some outside help.
This may help if you:
- Are struggling with school or uni
- Are finding it hard to balance work and study
- Would like to get a job while studying
Things you can do
- Set goals - It may be a good idea to think about what you need and want to do with your time. From this you can set your goals, which may help you to manage your time more effectively. You may want to check out the fact sheet on setting goals for more information.
- Project plan - Ever had a big project to do for work or school and never quite known where to start? It may help to write down all the things you need to do to complete the project and list the order in which you can do this. This can give you some direction and help you to form a timeline.
- Use a diary - Writing down appointments, homework, or things you have to do may help you to keep track of what's on. This way you may avoid things catching you by surprise.
- Be flexible - Sometimes situations change and you may need to re-adjust your goals or work plan to fit in with the changes.
- Balance your time - Having a balance of activities in your life may help to avoid you burning out. It is a good idea to find time for relaxing, being active and hanging out with friends. Spending time relaxing or re-energising yourself may help you be more productive both at work and with study.
- Talk to someone - It is not uncommon to have lots of things we need to get done and this may make it difficult to manage your time. If you are finding these things hard, it may be helpful to talk to a teacher, lecturer, or counsellor.
If it all becomes too much
Don’t feel that you have to be everything for everyone. If you have too much on your plate and it’s becoming overwhelming, find things you can cut back on. Ask for shorter shifts or talk to your teacher about work load. There’s no point in pushing yourself to the point where you break down.
If you find the stress of managing work and study is getting to you, have a look at some of our fact sheets on stress