August 26 is Wear it Purple Day. And like other wonderfully purple things (Cadbury chocolate, grape Hubba Bubba and Prince circa 1984 - just to name a few), it's pretty special. Wear it Purple Day is all about celebrating and supporting LGBTQI young people, and challenging societal attitudes to shape the world we live in.
Who's behind Wear it Purple Day?
Wear it Purple, of course! Wear it Purple is a student run, not-for-profit organisation dedicated to supporting young people who identify as sexually and/or gender diverse (i.e. rainbow). They work hard to ensure that the wellbeing of rainbow young people is equal to their peers, and raise awareness for issues affecting the LGBTQI community.
How can I get involved?
There are lots of different ways to get involved and show your support for rainbow young people!
- Break into your wardrobe and don your brightest and loudest purple get-up.
- Let people know about why you're looking extra special in your purple gear.
- Hashtag and share! Use #wearitpurple to take over social media in the most purple way possible.
- Be introspective. Wear it Purple Day is a great opportunity to think about how you perceive other people, and how you can improve on being inclusive and respectful.
- Stand up and speak out. If you come across a situation where others are being disrespectful to the LGBTQI community, let them know it's not on.
Where can I find related info?
Right here! Check out some of our handy fact sheets, feature articles and videos below.