Young people stories: Lessons from lockdown
For young people around the country, the COVID-19 lockdowns have been about more than learning a new language or bingeing heaps of Netflix. With so much time left to your own devices, you may have finally had a moment to think about your life, your dreams, or tap into the way your brain works.
It hasn’t always been pretty – many of you have lost work, lost being able to practise your passion, lost structure in your lives. But at the same time, you may have had the space to develop and learn some important things about life like the young people below.
It’s okay to acknowledge that it’s scary. But it’s more important to know that you’re not alone in this.
Here’s a few of the things we’ve learned:
- You don’t have to be productive at every single moment. Don’t feel bad for taking time to relax, reflect, or even have some fun.
- If the world has you feeling down, that’s natural. Trying to avoid negative feelings doesn’t usually work. Remember your feelings are valid.
- If you have a pet, congratulations and lucky you! Pets have been one of the top ways that young people have survived the lockdown.
What can I do now?
- To hear more stories of young people during the COVID-19 lockdown, click here.
- Click here to check out a discussion about this topic in our forums.
- Find out about how music can help during tough times.