Family services

If you’re having family issues and problems, such as conflict, housing or safety concerns, help is available. Get in touch with a nationwide family service, or one in your state, that can put you in contact with someone near you.

This can help if:

  • you're having a family crisis

  • you want to get help with family stuff

  • you're looking for someone to talk to about family matters

Girl speaking to woman at table

Family services Australia-wide

Family Relationships Online is a government initiative that has info about family issues, such as dealing with arguments and making better relationships. They can also put you in touch with other helpful services.

Phone: 1800 050 321

Family and Relationship Services Australia works to improve the wellbeing and safety of children, families and communities.

Phone: 02 6162 1811

Find your state or territory below for the name, phone and web address of services that help with family issues and welfare.

Australian Capital Territory

The Australian Capital Territory Office for Children, Youth and Family Support works with communities to care for, and provide protection services to, young people, families and communities.

ACT Community Services website

Phone: 1300 556 729

New South Wales

NSW Government Department of Family and Community Services provides services to disadvantaged individuals, families and communities around NSW.

NSW Department of Community Services website

Phone: 02 9716 2222

Northern Territory

The NT Government Department for Children and Families works to ensure the safety and wellbeing of children and families in the Northern Territory by providing them with support and services.

NT Community and Families website


Queensland Government Community Support provides information and support for children, families and communities in Queensland.

QLD Community Support website

Phone: 13 74 68 for general enquiries

South Australia

South Australian Government Department of Communities and Social Inclusion works with disadvantaged people to provide them with choices, opportunities and the services they need.

SA Department of Communities and Social Inclusion website

Phone: 08 8226 8800


The Tasmanian Government Department of Premier and Cabinet has a community development division that provides information and resources to children, young people, families and communities in Tasmania.

TAS Community Development Division website

Phone: 1300 135 513


Victorian Government Department of Human Services provides information and support to young people and families to help them access the services they need.

VIC Department of Human Services website

Victoria’s Family Institute, located within La Trobe University’s Faculty of Health Sciences, recognises the important role of the family and works to protect the wellbeing of individuals, their families and the wider community.

Victoria's Family Institute website

Phone: 03 8481 4800

Western Australia

The Australian Government Department for Child Protection provides information and support services to ensure the safety of children and families in Western Australia.

WA Department of Communities Child Protection website

Phone: 08 9222 2555, or country free call on 1800 622 258

What can I do now?

  • Get help in relation to domestic violence.