This might help if:
- You want to know more about drug addiction
- You or someone you know might be suffering from drug addiction
- You want to know signs of addiction
Signs of drug addiction
Drug addiction is complex and can hurt people in a number of different ways. Not only does it have a physical health impact, but it can also affect mental health and social connections if you’re not careful.
Drug addiction occurs mostly with excessive use of party and other drugs; but prescription medication can also be a source of drug addiction and dependence.
Some of the signs of drug dependence include:
- Avoiding non-users
- Feeling uncomfortable and alone without drugs
- Losing weight
- Lying or not being honest with friends and family about how much you’re using
- Getting into debt or spending money you can’t afford on drugs
- Selling belongings to pay for drugs
- Stealing from other people to pay for drugs
Types of drug addiction
Drug addiction can come in many different forms including both physical and psychological dependence on specific types of drugs. Some drugs that cause physical dependence include:
Drugs that cause psychological dependence can include:
- LSD and magic mushrooms
Negative effects of drug addiction
There are a number of negative effects that come with drug addiction. Different drugs have different long term effects, however some common symptoms include:
- Heightened anxiety or panic attacks
- Memory or attention loss
- Severe depression
- Significant weight loss
- Heart problems
- Sexual problems (including impotence)
Recognising the problem is the first step in getting help for addiction. No one can force another person to undergo treatment for a problem they don’t believe they have.
Many people think they can go cold turkey and give up drugs on their own, but that’s a really difficult way of going about it and often not the most successful. Talking to someone, whether it is a friend, teacher, parent, or a professional (a doctor or support service staff etc), is the best way of starting your recovery and figuring out your next steps.