A personality disorder is a condition where someone’s personality traits – the way they think, feel and behave – are extreme and dysfunctional, causing them great distress. Check out some of the info and services available for people with personality disorders, including online support groups. Also find out what to do if you or someone you know needs help urgently.
This can help if:
- you know someone with a personality disorder
- you’ve got a personality disorder and are looking for support
- you want to learn more about personality disorders.
Managing a personality disorder
Personality disorders may be difficult to deal with, but various services are available to help. By seeking advice from a mental health professional, and establishing a strong support network, people with personality disorders can manage their symptoms and lead satisfying and fulfilling lives.
What’s the first thing to do?
If someone needs help urgently, go to our urgent help page.
If you think you, or someone you know, might have symptoms of a personality disorder, seek professional help immediately. A mental health practitioner can help you figure out what’s going on and identify your best treatment options.
The most common treatment for people with a personality disorder is dialectical behaviour therapy, which helps in identifying, managing and changing their emotional responses.
Online support groups
Check out these online support groups, where people share their experiences with personality disorders (be sure to read their forum guidelines first):
- Psychforums.com has online forum threads about different personality disorders.
- Out of the FOG is an online info and support website for family members and friends of people with personality disorders.
- Borderline Personality Disorder Family provides online support for families and friends of someone with borderline personality disorder.
If you need help urgently
What can I do now?
Explore other topics
It's not always easy to find the right place to start. Our 'What's on your mind?' tool can help you explore what's right for you.What's on your mind?