Hey– I’m Jay, I’m 16, and I’m in my last year of high school. Thinking about my future can be stressful, but I have so many opportunities to be excited about. In the midst of exams and lockdowns, I’ve enjoyed thinking about what’s next for me in life.
That’s why in this series, I’ve been talking to people who have been down this road before. In this episode I talked to Jason Ball– when he was a teenager, he had no idea what was in store for him in life, and he had no idea how people around him would feel about him when he came out.
A few things we learned:
- No matter what’s on your mind, sometimes the best thing you can do is talk to someone you trust about what’s going on. Their response might be better than you think.
- Life is unpredictable, and these days, career paths change all the time. That’s why it can be hard to follow one specific career path.
- Instead, it might be better to just follow things you like and that you’re passionate about.
Having the courage to be proud of who you are is actually a really strong trait to have, and it's something that deserves respect.
What can I do now?
- Read here about what to do if you just can’t pick a career path.
- Check out how to get support if you're feeling anxious about your sexuality here.
- If you’re feeling anxious about your future and want to hear how other young people feel, check out a discussion on our forums about this.