Sonboy is a young Aboriginal rapper from the Wiradjuri and Dunghutti tribes. He reflects on how lonely and angry he felt when several members of his family were in prison, and how, without positive role models around to show him something different, he felt he was headed down a similar path.
Ultimately, Sonboy decided that he didn’t want to go to jail, and put all his effort into building his confidence and developing his music.
- Going through trouble with your family can be rough. When you feel like you aren’t supported in life, it can make you feel like crap.
- Some people feel the need to treat themselves poorly in response to this, and do things which only hurt you in the end.
- There are better things you can do instead, like using your creativity and your support network to express your hurt and feel heard.
- Achieving your goals can feel really good, and make you want to keep pushing and investing in your dreams.
There's no point in being halfway. If you're only going to go halfway, other people go halfway with you. If you're going 100%, they're going to be beside you.
Sonboy knew that in order to set himself on a new path he would need support from those in his community. He approached Dawn, who runs the courses at his local community centre, and she supported him in pursuing music and chasing his dreams. She was also able to connect him with another supporter, Espa, and the two of them became positive role models for Sonboy. They helped him break the cycle and commit to living the life he wanted and was working hard for.
- Having positive role models can make it easier to stick to your path. They can share the knowledge and wisdom with you and offer advice and support when you need it.
- Making a promise to yourself can be a really powerful motivator. Sharing this promise with others means they can help you stay on track.
- If you’re looking for a role model or mentor to support you to achieve your goals, you could chat to family, friends or Elders, or visit your local community centre like Sonboy did.
It's so, so important to have role models. They changed my life.
Today, thanks to the support from his role models and all his effort, Sonboy is a successful rapper who now wants to be a role model for other young men in his community.